Physical abuse includes the use of physical force that may result in bodily injury, physical pain, or impairment. Physical abuse is often assault. Physical abuse may include:
Sexual abuse is sexual touching or sexual activity if the other person does not consent. Signs of possible physical or sexual abuse may include:
- unexplained depression, fear or paranoia
- discomfort or anxiety in the presence of particular people
- unexplained visible burns, scratches, bruises, cuts or swellings
- vague or illogical explanations for injuries
Abuse happens when one person hurts or mistreats another. Remember:
- Seniors are entitled to respect.
- Seniors have a right to live free from physical and sexual abuse.
- Seniors have every right to live in safety and security.
- There is no excuse for abuse.